IBPS PO 2019 exam will be organized in online mode. It will be held in two stages viz. Preliminary and Mains exams. Prelims is just a qualifying exam, it is not counted in the final result. Selection of candidates depends upon the score obtained in Mains exam and Interview.
The exam pattern varies at different stages of exams. English, Quantitative Aptitude and Logical Reasoning sections are found in both prelims and mains exam but the level of difficulty varies. In addition to the mentioned sections, Mains exam also has General Awareness section.
IBPS PO 2019 Exam Pattern is similar to the pattern updated by IBPS last year (2018-19). Some of the key changes introduced in the exam are:
- The duration for IBPS PO Mains has been increased to 3 hours 30 minutes.
- The difficulty level of the exam may rise due to the increase in time period and decrease in number of questions (dropped from 200 to 155).
- The ‘Computer Awareness’ section has been scrapped and re-introduced as ‘Computer Aptitude’ which is merged with Reasoning Ability section.
- ‘Quantitative Aptitude’ section has been renamed as ‘Data Interpretation and Analysis’. It will now include questions from Data Interpretation as well.
- IBPS PO 2019 Main exam will include English descriptive paper comprising Essay and Letter writing for 25 marks within 30 minutes.
IBPS PO 2019 Exam Pattern At a Glance
|Number of Rounds||3 (Prelims, Mains, Interview)|
|Marking Scheme||+1 for correct answer-0.25 for incorrect answer|
|Exam Duration for Preliminary Round||1 hour (60 minutes)|
|Exam Duration for Mains||3 hours 30 minutes (210 minutes)|
|Type of Questions||MCQs (Addtitional Descriptive paper in Mains)|
|IBPS PO 2019 Interview Maximum Marks||100|
|Minimum Qualifying Marks for the Interview||40% (35% for Reserved Classes)|
IBPS PO Prelims and Mains exams will be held on October 12, 13, 19 & 20, 2019 and November 30, 2019 respectively. Around 20 lakh students are expected to appear for IBPS PO this year.
IBPS PO 2019 Exam Pattern for Prelims
- Mode of Examination–IBPS PO Prelims will be conducted in online mode.
- Number of Sections- There are 3 sections in IBPS PO Prelims viz. English Language, Quantitative Aptitude, and Logical Reasoning.
- Duration of Exam- The exam will be of 1 hour (60 minutes).
- Nature of Questions- Questions in the exam will be objective type (MCQs). Each question will have 4 options wherein only 1 option will be correct.
- Marking Scheme– Each question will carry 1 mark. Also, there is a provision of negative marking i.e. for every wrong answer, ¼ mark would be deducted.
- Language of Exam- For English section, candidates have to answer in English Language only, rest of the sections will be covered in English and Hindi languages.
Key Points for IBPS PO Prelims
- Prelims is considered as the qualifying examination.
- Candidates qualifying this paper will be eligible to appear for IBPS PO Mains. Check IBPS PO 2019 Eligibility
- The marks secured in this exam will not be considered while compiling the final result.
- There will be a sectional cutoff and overall cutoff to qualify for IBPS PO Mains exam.
Section-wise Weightage of Prelims Exam
According to the key changes in IBPS PO exam, separate cut-off will be considered in Prelims so as to qualify for Mains exam. Each section will be allotted 20 minutes unlike earlier where 60 minutes were allocated to all the sections together.
|Section Name||Total Questions||Total Marks|
|Total||100 Questions||100 Marks|
IBPS PO Preparation Books
|Book Name||Author/ Publisher|
|Objective General English||S.P. Bakshi|
|Quantitative Aptitude for Competitive Examination||R.S. Aggarwal|
|Analytical Reasoning||M.K. Pandey|
IBPS PO 2019 Exam Pattern for Mains
- Mode of Examination: – IBPS PO Mains will be conducted in online mode.
- Number of Sections: – There are 4 sections in IBPS PO Mains viz. English, Data Analysis & Interpretation, Reasoning & Computer Aptitude, and General Awareness. A descriptive paper has been introduced which has 2 questions– Letter Writing and Essay writing
- Duration of Exam: – The exam will be of 3 hours 30 minutes (210 minutes)
- Nature of Questions: – Questions asked in the exam will be of objective type (MCQs). Each question will have 4 options wherein only 1 option will be correct.
- Marking Scheme: – Each question will carry 1 mark. Negative marking will also be applicable. For every wrong answer, 0.25 marks will be deducted.
IBPS PO Mains Key Points
- There will be a sectional cutoff and overall cutoff.
- A specified sectional time limit has been allocated to attempt each section in Mains exam.
- An IBPS PO cutoff list will be prepared where candidates having higher score/marks will have their names on top of the list.
- Candidates with a higher score will be given priority for the interview.
Section-wise Weightage of Mains Exam
According to the new pattern introduced by IBPS, two more descriptive questions in English have been introduced with the increase in time limit by 30 minutes. The total marks for the section is 25.
|Section Name||Total Questions||Allotted Time||Total Marks|
|English Language||35||40 minutes||40|
|Quantitative Aptitude||35||45 minutes||60|
|Reasoning and Computer Aptitude||45||60 minutes||60|
|General Awareness||40||35 minutes||40|
|English (Essay and Letter Writing)||2 Questions||30 minutes||25 Marks|
|Total||157 Questions||3 hours 30 minutes||225 Marks|
IBPS PO Preparation Books
|Book Name||Author/ Publisher|
|A Modern Approach to Logical Reasoning||R.S. Aggarwal|
|Bank PO Quantitative Aptitude||Arihant|
|General Studies 2019||B. Singh|
|Advanced Bank Management||IIBF|
IBPS PO 2019 Exam Pattern for Interview
- Candidates who qualify Mains exam are eligible for the interview round.
- The interview round will carry 100 marks.
- This is the final stage in the selection process of IBPS PO.
- This round carries 20% weightage in the final result.
- Through this round, a candidate’s communication skills and personality is examined.
Highlights of IBPS PO Interview
- Minimum qualifying marks for General Category candidates is 40%. Candidates belonging to reserved category must score at least 35% marks.
- Final Merit List is prepared on the basis of the score in Mains exam and Interview performance.
- IBPS PO combined score would be declared on the basis of scores obtained by the candidates in the Main Examination and Interview in the ratio of 80:20
- After the interview round concludes, provisional allotment will be done as per the vacancies in different banks.
IBPS PO Sample Papers
Candidates are suggested that they must practice maximum number of mock tests to have an idea about the pattern and the questions which will appear in the final exam.
Advantages of IBPS PO Sample Papers
- Solving mock papers boosts the candidates’ confidence and increases the accuracy of solving the maximum number of questions.
- It helps in understanding the IBPS PO exam pattern and managing time in the exam. The IBPS PO mock tests maintain the same level of difficulty as the actual exam.
- Sample papers are designed in a manner that they also include some previous years’ questions.
- Candidates can track their performance level while solving sample papers online.
IBPS PO Preparation Tips
IBPS PO is a highly competitive recruitment exam. The main difference between Prelims and Mains exams lies in the level of difficulty of the questions. Here are a few preparation tips for the applicants:
Reasoning ability section is comparatively easier than other sections. Candidates should focus more on the analytical part. Some important topics covered in the exam are: Making Series/ Analogy, Number Series, Coding and Decoding, Problem Solving, Passage and conclusions type questions and Comprehension Reasoning etc.
General Ability Section
- GA is the easiest among all sections.
- Candidates should be updated with current affairs in order to score well.
- Most of the questions in this section are asked from current affairs.
- Along with the general awareness, candidates should be aware of the banking terms and its updates.
- Some of the important topics are: Indian Economy Questions, Marketing, Awards & Honors Sports, Books & Authors, Finance, Agriculture, Banking History, Banking Terms, RBI Functions and Fiscal-Monetary Policies etc.
English Language Section
- The questions in this section are based on grade 10.
- To score well in this section, candidates should practice hard from reference books.
- This section tests the grammatical skills of the candidates appearing for IBPS PO exam.
- Candidates should be thorough with the rules of grammar in order to score well in the exam.
- Some of the most important topics include- Fill in the Blanks, Comprehension Passage, phrases, and idioms, Spotting Error Questions, Preposition, and Sentence Improvement etc.
- This section is considered to be the toughest of all the sections.
- Most of the questions in this section can be solved by using short-tricks.
- The topics on which most of the questions are asked include Data Interpretation (DI), Sequence & Series, Number System, Quadratic Equations, Sequence & Series, Ratio, Proportion Percentage & Averages, Simplification etc.
- It is considered to be the easiest of all the sections.
- The topics that can be prepared well to score high marks include Basics of Computers, Basic internet knowledge and protocols, Network basics (LAN & WAN), Generations of computer, Input & Output Device, Shortcuts & Basic knowledge MS Word, MS Excel, MS power point, and Computer Shortcuts etc.
IBPS POPreparation Tips for Interview
- Greet the interviewers
- Forward the CV to the interviewer
- Candidates must bear a smile and maintain proper eye contact during the interview.
- If the candidate don’t know the answer, they may simply say NO but not panic. Be smart while answering the questions as the next question can be connected to the previous answer.
- When the interviewer is done with the interview, the candidate must stand up politely, shake hands with the interview panel and leave the room quietly.